Monday, November 27, 2017

Hildr Valkyrie Interview

1.Can you give us an update on what has been going on with the solo project since the recording and release of the new album?
First of all thank you for granting me the pleasure to have an interview with you.

For the time, all are in shadows, just few songs in a very primitive form, ideas that needs to bloom into something new. That was caused because my Keyboards in which I composed everything on, has been broken; and this took me some more time than I expected to learn new ways to write music with my midi and pc. Had to be familiar with new technologies that have never involved with and this kept me back by having fast new material for Hildr Valkyrie, but definitely there will be a new album in the main future.

2.Recently you have released a new album, how would you describe the musical sound that is presented on the recording and also how does it differ from the stuff you have released in the past?
I can’t really give you a specific genre for the album as it comes for the music itself, almost all songs have their own personality in which also happened to my previous releases. You can find from Folk (polyphonic) to Viking metal, Black metal, Symphonic metal etc, you can recognize a lot of genres in, so how do we describe the music of Hildr Valkyrie? I simply do it from the themes that my lyrics refer to, so in just two words we can describe it as Heathen Metal.
Now as it comes to the differences between the releases of the past. I can say that still I kept the identity of Hildr Valkyrie, and in the same time my session guitarist Jan Twothousandarrows made the difference by playing a huge role in the nowadays sound of the band, he was free to act as he wanted and recorded the guitars and bass in free will also he added a part of the drum programming as well!  Then my sound producer Patric from WSL studio also put his knowledge to reveal the details of the music in this album and last but not least “time”, yes time that helped me to become a bit better than before, I am not a professional musician, I am self-taught one and time is my best friend in many occasions.

3.This is your first solo release since 2008, can you tell us a little bit more about what has been going on during that time frame?
Yes, I am a “bit” slow with the releases of Hildr Valkyrie this is true, but as an artist I am not. In the meantime I have done some appearances in V/A either with covers, either with new songs as Hildr Valkyrie and also many, many collaborations with bands I appreciate so much in small or bigger roles. I can name you a few such as with Elffor (Basque/Spain), Emyn Muil (Italy), Helrunar (Germany), Eliwagar (Norway), Celtefog (Hellas), Voluspaa (Norway), Kawir (Hellas), The Wolves of Avalon (UK), Folkearth and Folkodia (International), Meneapneontes (Hellas) and many others that in total we can count around 45 different releases as far in my bio.     

4.A lot of your lyrics are based on Norse Mythology and Paganism, can you tell us a little bit more about your interest in this topic?
From little child I was unfriendly with christian religion, something was wrong in my childish little mind, something did not fitted well. Later on I was considering myself as an agnostic. Years passed and found myself pretty close to the Nordic Paganism, I started to study, learning with much passion about Odinism, trying with each possible way to learn as much more I was able to; by reading online books that was not in my mother language and of course not the easiest way to achieve the goal I wanted. In the very beginning I thought I was strange and alone, but this did not bothered me at all because finally I felt complete into my soul. Later on I found European and American Folks from Odinic Rite that gladly accepted me as an equal member to their Religious community even if my blood is not from North Europe and gladly helped me to learn even more.
You see, Traditions of Europe must stay alive, even if you are Hellenes, or Norwegian, or Germanic, or Italian, or Basque, or Slav etc, because this is our Identity and our secure mean to survive cultural into the multiculturalism way of life that the clique of managers (because this is what they exactly are), the “big heads” in which we are (forced to) ruled from, compulsion us to live in deeper in this situation, day by day more and more, without being able to even speak about it; because automatically they point a finger to you screaming about politics. No! It is not about politics; Religion and Traditions are more than this and something complete different topic, it is about our European Cultural Identity. Christianity was and is one of their weapon as this religion itself is multicultural, all Nations under the banner of jehovah and his son yeshua the woodcutter, well no, my Gods are more than just this!
So, let’s go to the conclusion, because this question may never have an end. For me, these topics are not just fashion as for many meant to be, are not just fancy stories with swords and axes to play with, neither I wear my Mjollnir or carry Heathen Symbols on me for fun or any kind of fame or to create a name around my person, this is my living Faith, my Oath.
And by the chance I would like to refer a problem that I am still reading in written articles or dialogs around the net for our Religion, Gods ARE, Gods DO exist, Odhinn IS not was, Thor IS not was, Gods can’t die and you want to call it Paganism in general? You want to call it Heathenism? You want to call it Old Faith? Asatru? Odinism? Hellenism? Nordic? Germanic? Slavic? Ancestral? This is not a dead Religion, we have to make up our minds and think different than the way they we’ve been taught as far from the christian society, and so; our Gods ARE!

5.You have worked both solo and with full bands, which one do you prefer?
Actually the time that I had true rehearsals with bands is a far past for me, far back before the creation of Hildr Valkyrie, just had a small “refresh” of memory of how it is with Kawir before we go on stage because I was called to be their guest (for the Hellenic live in Athens) for the 20th anniversary of the band.
Further more, I can not compare the full bands that they are asking me to join them, with my solo project, of course and I live the process through the first note till “that last little detail” which is needed to be changed, I get the inspiration to write lyrics through the music and sing to give the last touch to the songs, something that I do not enjoy when I get complete songs to sing, but in the end; for me it is the same satisfaction, and to tell you the truth, I feel more responsible to the bands that they trust in me and ask to join them. To my creations, I can find mistakes (no one is perfect) but I care much more if I find mistakes to my guest or session appearances.

6.You have also released a great amount of material with your other musical projects, do you spend a great amount of time writing, performing and recording music?
Well, I never thought of that. You know, I never count the time when I am doing these activities. For me the time stops when I start a recording, when finish and I get up my head it is or dark, or dawn. I forgot completely the time, I am somewhere else, in another cosmos, in another dimension.

7.On a worldwide level how has the feedback been to your music by fans of viking and folk metal?
Ow, by my own standards of course I am more than happy! I have fans from almost all around the world. I could never imagine that when I first started Hildr Valkyrie. In the beginning I must admit that the enthusiasm of the fans was much more than now, and to be honest, this is my fault because whatever you leave it behind it does leave you too. I should have been a little more active with Hildr Valkyrie, for example to had at least one more album in the meantime to keep the interest of my fans, but Hildr Valkyrie is not the only thing I deal with in my life of course!

8.what is going on with some of the other bands or musical projects these days that you are a part of?
Most of the bands that I have been involved with are active, and as I am learning news from them, they keep on recording new music. Some they will call me again, as my most of collaborations are not just for one album and I’ll be more than happy to give my help again! I also have new proposals for new collaborations and one new born black metal band that we are just started to record our first songs with a very talented Hellenic guitarist and the band name is “Solis in Antris” which means “Alone in the Caves” (you are the first that I announce it)!

9.Where do you see yourself heading into as a musician in the future?
I don’t know what future will bring, more collaborations maybe? New bands? I just hope that the Norns will be well favored as possible!

10.What are some of the bands or musical styles that have had an influence on your newer music and also what are you listening to nowadays?
The mainly influences in which I never hid, are Falkenbach and Summoning. Two different genres of metal in which I combine them in a special way with my own identity. This is also one of the reasons why I can’t refer to one specific genre for my one-woman band.
At the time, I am listening more to Anglo-Saxon bands such as Winterfylleth, Wodensthrone, Ildra etc but I do not think that this showed up to my music since my skills can not touch these megatheriums!

11.What are some of your non musical interests?

I like photography and photography manipulation, even if I have not the time as I used to. Also with my husband and beloved friends we run an organization under the name of Thyrsos – Oikos of Ethnikoi Hellenes, in which members and friends organize and have active practice by having Rites to the Gods, we have done European meetings with other members of Heathen organizations, we have presented Hellenism within European Heathenism to other countries, street activities such as raising banners and protest, also we run online publications that has to do with Heathenism in all its forms, and I think if you add the daily job for earing my living and music activities is a full life!

12.Before we wrap up this interview, do you have any final words or thoughts?
 I think this was a wonderful interview, one of the few indeed! Thank you for taking time to write these questions and I must thank also and your readers for their patience and interest to read this interview too! 

Haire!

Bandcamp
Blogspot
Facebook
Google+
Myspace
Official website
ReverbNation
YouTube

No comments:

Post a Comment